Alger Public Library Notary Guidelines:
- Schedule an appointment by calling 419-757-7755
- Please bring a valid, government-issued photo ID and unsigned documents to be notarized. The name printed on the ID must be an exact match for the signer's name. Documents must be signed in the presence of the notary in order to be valid (ORC Section 147).
- Please complete all information above the signature line.
- Patrons must bring their own witnesses, if needed. The library does not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from staff or customers using the library.
- Documents to be notarized must be in English.
- Documents to be notarized must contain a Notary Public jurat or acknowledgement.
- The Library provides only basic Notary Public Services and is not able to notarize more than 3 documents per visit.
- Notaries cannot pre-date or post-date an action, prepare a legal document or give advice on legal matters, or notarize documents in which they have a personal interest.
- Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document, or circumstances of the request for notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the library. In the event, the library notary may, at his or her sole discretion, decline to provide notary service.
- The Library’s free notary service is intended for simple documents (auto titles, etc.) that do not require special expertise. Documents we will not notarize:
- Real estate transactions including mortgage and housing refinance
- Documents, including Quit Claim Deeds.
- Notary protests
- Employment eligibility verification, Homeland Security I-9 Forms
- Documents written in any language other than English
- Auto titles without buyer address and name (state law requires this section be completed, regardless of circumstance.)
We reserve the right to refuse notarizing documents for any legal reason.